[nos-bbs] INP3 Protocol review (and more)

pa3gjx at home.nl pa3gjx at home.nl
Fri Sep 21 15:15:37 EDT 2007

Hello All,

Maaiko tnx for your efforts on the JNOS playground giving us so much to do :-)

Must say i am not surprised to read that you did stop with the INP3 Protocol.
There seems to be a difference between the european packet stations and the rest of the world.    Although there are more systems in the World who use other Node software they all seem to use NETROM for routing.

In the past  we used all power of JNOS 1.11 for  applications.
it served TCP/IP Clients with even 1k2 running on Windhoos for our users around PI1YSM/PI1ZWL Node in area JO22XN.  Quickly we understood the full capacity from JNOS and the TCP/IP.  And had great fun.

We found out that the only way to use TCP/IP effect if  over AX25 was to switch off the Netrom Protocol for routing.  the ax25 layer took charge of the the TCP/IP frames, And burst from 7 frames a 256 packet where no problem any more.  Yes we used WEBcam and Webrowsers, NEWS POP3 SMTP and AMPR.ORG network over TCP/IP. (very) fast. Even believe it our not Speech over 1k2 packet. (Program called FlexTalk)   JNOS switching the TCP/IP traffic :)

With nodes not to be reached over the FLEXNET protocol we had to use NETROM for routing. The downside was in every frame ontop of the ax25 headers was also NETROM information. reducing every frame to  216 bytes or less  :(    Our neighbor nodes using AX software with felxnet routing had a frame reassembler,  and could when a frame was missing in a 7 frame burst ask four only the one missing, it also speed ed up the throughput accessibly.

I my self never understood, after these experiments why they evolved INP3 Protocol.
Xnet has all three  protocols and YES it also suffers under the Netrom Protocol sending TCP/IP Frames

Downside?  the Flexnet protocol was not a opensource if this is still the problem then TCP/IP over AX25 over radio links will never grow up.

Best 73' Jan PA3GJX