[nos-bbs] jnos as a daemon

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 20 18:23:50 EDT 2007

I have one of those remote hill-top applications to configure, one where
the sysop is a long way from the hardware.  I have seen a number of
solutions to this in reading about nos, but I have not seen one where
jnos truly operated as a daemon (in the UNIX sense).  In everything I
remember the sysop console is not made available to the sysop person
unless he is located right next to the computer or initiates jnos
manually to keep the linux file descriptors known as "0" stdin, "1"
stdout, and "2" stderr, connected to his terminal.

The configuration I desire is to initiate jnos at boot time and use
respawn parameter to restart jnos should the exit command be executed or
if jnos might crash (an alternative to rebooting the whole machine).  I
don't reject using cron, but respawn seems superior.

While starting jnos as a daemon is the smaller problem, making the sysop
console of an already running jnos instance available to the sysop
person located remotely is a trick I have not mastered yet.  We would
like to connect to the sysop console via intranet using ssh without
restarting jnos.  We would like the benefit of the features not
available under the @ access to sysop, and also the nicely colored
status lines programmed on top of the screen.  But only *on demand*, not
always connected.

While jnos might be patched to accomplish our wish list, the approach of
using only Linux system tools and perhaps the huge add-on software
library to preserve jnos as delivered (today followed by any unaltered
upgrade) is our preferred solution.

Has anyone on the reflector already done this and happy with the
solution?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k