[nos-bbs] TNOS 3 (CVS) kernal upgrade available ...

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Sep 18 15:18:44 EDT 2007

Greetings to all,

I have updated the TNOS 3 (cvs) at sourceforge - *new* kernel code.

I also have info for TNOS 2.40 users towards the end of this email.

These changes are along the same line as what I did for JNOS 2.0, so
you *should* now be able to compile and run TNOS 3 (cvs) on most of
the latest linux distributions out there.

To get the LATEST TNOS 3 (cvs) at sourceforge, create an empty directory,
then cd into it, then run the following command (all on one line) :

   cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at tnos.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tnos
     checkout tnos-src

After the tnos-src subdirectory is created, cd to it, then run :

   ./configure

I picked ALL the defaults. When it is done, you'll be asked to run
the 'make' command, followed by 'make install'.

BEFORE you run the 'make' command, make sure you create an 'etc' and
'etc/help' directory under your /nos directory. This is a bug in the
install procedure. If the two directories are missing, you'll get an
error.

I also have a patch for the TNOS 2.40 source, HOWEVER, I'm not sure
there is any point to running TNOS 2.40 on the latest linux distros,
considering that TUN is not part of TNOS 2.40, and SLIP support for
the latest linux distributions is turned off I believe (and it's a
pain to configure pseudo tty's, and so on).

If you want it anyways, let me know.

This is EXTREMELY experimental ! You've been warned.

It *seems* to run. I compiled and tested this on a Scientific Linux x86_64
system, running a '2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp' kernel, using 'glibc-2.3.4-2.25',
and 'ncurses-5.4-13'.

Regards,

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM