[nos-bbs] Brainstorming - packet server

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:31:00 EDT 2007

The chaos of life is decreasing slightly and I hope to get back to
some important "packet" projects, many on JNOS, in the near future.

Being packet focused, most projects need a source of Packets...

I could hook a TNC/Radio to the various systems I'm working on but I'd
love to be able to virtualize that part of the system.  Then I could
have one or two systems with live packet data as servers and work on
the projects on any other system.

A good example is the APRS-IS infrastructure.   Telnet to port XXX on
one of the servers and a stream of packets appears.

I could do it with the Remote Serial scheme on Linux...   Use Net2Kiss
to create a serial stream, then run the virtual com server feeding it
from that serial stream.  At the other end I would reverse the process
and have a virtual pty port with Kiss packets.  The problem with that
is I want to do this in JNOS, not Linux.  Another problem is that
scheme only allows one connection.   I'd like to have multiple
connections from different machines.

So...   Maybe the AXIP functionality is an option.  Does anybody here
know if it's possible to use the AX25/TCP system in JNOS to connect
out to an existing packet server and watch the packets flow?

Thanks,
Bill - WA7NWP