[nos-bbs] The 'NOS for WIN32' project ...

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Thu Oct 4 19:48:56 EDT 2007

["Angela" <nos-bbs_mail at scholder.nl> wrote]:

[snip]

> As I recall from a very deep backup memory, as written, I think version
> 4.53, did not work compiling JNOS as Borland had ommitted something from
> that version, though I don't recall what anymore.

That would have been the assembler.

[snip]

> But, JNOS is doing a lot more than being used for the BBS.
> It's used as webserver (pe1biv.net) and indeed 1.11f is very stable
> and doing what it is supposed to do.

In general, JNOS and its derivatives are very stable and they do
what they are supposed to do well.

> It's actually funny to have a look at the logs every now and then,
> certanly when you see the attempts to use Windooze server flaws,
> flaws in PHP, etc.  Then you can smirk by the idea that JNOS in all
> these cases just sort of replies 'Sorry, I don't have a clue!  Bye'.

When I'm particularly bored, I enjoy watching traces of incoming DMZ
traffic from my router to my NOS encapper.  I like to refer to NOS
as "laughing" at that Windows exploitation traffic.  Yup, it really
doesn't have a clue and that's the way I like it!

[snip]

> I do like the idea of a JNOS that does run on top of W2000, as I
> think it might be more stable than the SwsVpkt driver and JNOS in
> a DOS Box.

I have personally found that running NOS in a DOS box with the SwsVpkt
driver is VERY stable on both the W2k and XP platforms.  Admittedly,
I don't have too many services running on those programs, but they
provide a fun FTP back door into and out of my Windows PCs when I
need it.

At home, I still have four versions of JNOS variants running on three
physical PCs.  One is a stand-alone DOS PC that functions as the local
IPIP / IPUDP encapper, the second is a Windows XP PC and the third is
an OS/2 Warp PC, which is just about the friendliest host to DOS-NOS
programs that I have ever seen anywhere.

I also have a good friend who is running a JNOS variant in a Linux
DOS emulator.  It uses a virtual SLIP device from the DOS EMU as a
tunnel to the parent O/S and this seems to work very well.  This is
similar (but not quite as "native") to how JNOS 2.0 can use a virtual
SLIP device from a Linux shell as a tunnel to talk to the parent O/S
as well.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |