[nos-bbs] FTP wierd socket from domain.txt

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat May 26 21:50:33 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 19:36 -0400, Jay Nugent wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sat, 26 May 2007, (Skip) K8RRA wrote:
>
> > My neighbor is Dave (who also reads this reflector) and maybe he would
> > attach a copy of it to email for you.  It probably originated from you
> > but got revised by having the update switch ON.  As of today the update
> > switch is OFF.
>
>    domain.txt is the DNS cache.  If you leave 'dom update off' then
> anything new that gets looked up (by going out to the Internet for a
> resolve) will *never* get written into the cache (domain.txt).  So now
> EACH time someone needs to look that same host up will have to go through
> the whole resolve process over and over and over again.
Clarification?
I can read your note to say there is no memory-based cache for DNS in
jnos.  Yup - no write privilege would be a bad thing.
I am operating from the understanding that there is a memory based cache
with a time-out on look-ups.  HMMM - I could be wrong.
Do you experience flaws very often in domain.txt when update is ON?

> >>SNIP<<  So up your smtp timer
> to wait longer before trying again.
>
>    smtp timer 900      <--- 15 minutes (was probably set to 5 mins)
Would you believe 1805 for a setting?  Something else *has* to be going
on...

>    By pacing them out this way it may take a little bit longer to get all
> the messages delivered, but they won't all be trying to extablish
> simultainious TCP connections and SMTP streams and tromple over one
> another vying for the limited bandwidth on a poor RF path.
There were several simultaneous things during our convers net tonight.
The mi-drg network poll was one of them.
And I experienced no major flaws as in the past months - just slow.
So we are probably on an OK path with the changes so far.

>    But now that were're done with SMTP, back to FTP.  Which I'll answer in
> a seperate email.
OK - good idea.
You might want to wait until we have a chance to repair domain.txt and
segmentation too?

>       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k