[nos-bbs] OOPS - KAM Host mode

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat May 12 10:38:38 EDT 2007

Your response is a bit more promising than I expected Maiko.
I'll have your suggestions tested quite soon...

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 23:00 -0500, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:
> Hi Skip,
>>SNIP<<
> What crashed ? I need details. Do you have GDB dump ?
I did not rush to install gdb since I found the script error.
Now I expect the tnc responded "huh?" and went on normally.
I will both trace and put gdb in place when I pick up this aspect again.

>>SNIP<<
> The autobaud is a pain, I kind of resolved that by putting several lines
> of '*' in the kam.cfg,
YUP - I remember this pain from scripting telephone modems and dial-up
service...  May I suggest something for the production version of KAM
and SCS tnc in hfdd?  A script file naming & locating standard.  Beat me
up if not...:-)

I presume you will also use this new scripting approach for the SCS as
well.  As such there are potentially one file per tnc and some need to
follow the file structure in place for JNOS - specifically files.c and
nos.cfg.

Allow me to pose this set of files are defined in files.c in a form
where the naming convention and directory standard are given.  My
suggestion for name is: ./directory/initxxxx.cfg
Where:
  directory is the default path
  init is a given prefix to the name.
  xxxx is the name assigned in the "attach asy ..." command.
  .cfg is a given suffix to the name.
The second suggestion is that the path might be changed by nos.cfg.

I know this may not be part of your thinking - and may represent
additional labor.  Sorry...  I am presenting a vision where files fit
into the established standard for file path/name plus a future when all
tncs might be handled in the same way, even vhf tncs where we now place
them in kiss mode.  It could lead to dynamic reconfiguration under jnos
control?

In the way I am developing wiki examples, I locate "source ..." files in
the ./etc/ path including attach, route, and encap, definitions.  The
init scripts would fit nicely into the insanity of ./etc/ ?
> >>SNIP<<.
>
> Don't use the SHIFT MODEM command, and try it out again.
Some time ago I recall investigating default shift (mark/space) in
various tncs.  It seems that there is some variation from the KAM'98
170hz (2125/2295) tone set.  I was involved in developing a radio tuning
formula, and because both 170hz and 200hz are in use for packet I went a
step further than using the mark tone offset - I computed the centerline
of the emission rather than one edge.

OK - that will never make it into the main stream of thinking.  But it
presents something I may need to document?  Do you know if all host-mode
varieties default to identical tones?

> Sorry, I wish I had a KAM 98 to try out, but honestly I don't think it
> will behave any different than the KAM I have here, or the old KPC I was
> using.
I'll give you feedback of what I find...

> Maiko

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k