[nos-bbs] info - using 'usb' TNC on linux (example, SCS PTC-IIusb) ...

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri May 11 23:24:36 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

> Does this mean that you have now added PACTOR code to JNOS
> for the SCS range of modems ?

It's been there since early 2005, in one form or another. It was always
experimental. I spent a few months working on it in 2005, I was lucky
enough to get a PTC-II modem on loan from Jim (WU3V), but then I had to
give it back to him. Unfortunately I did not focus on the code that I
should have, so as a result I ran out of time, and wound up with a
rather incomplete implementation. It worked and it didn't, and if
it did, it worked in a very awkward way. I just ran out of time.

Up till now that is - Finally I have a SCS PTC-IIusb to play with,
our emergency measures group finally got a couple of them, so one of
my goals was to get them working with linux. That part works.

Now that I have the KAM code working quite nicely (I think anyways),
it's time to go back to the original PTC code and fix it up to match
the way the KAM code works. Having the actual modem handy now let's
me test it like I did with the KAM (which by the way is working
really good now).

Once I get the PTC working to my expectations, I will be releasing
a new JNOS 2.0f (which will also include the JNOS 2.0e patches).

The USB exercise has been a good experience for me. It prepares me
for the possibility that JNOS may have to support USB tncs down the
road.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM