[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Mar 31 11:28:02 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 11:16 +0200, Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) wrote:

> Barry Siegfried wrote:

> > The reason that there is no such "manual" is because there are
> > limitless possibilities for "specific NOS usage".

On this thought, I'd like to offer something...

>   Everyone has
> > different needs and therefore uses NOS in a different manner,>>SNIP<<. I myself keep maintaining a FBB howto document
> that I am sure is far from perfect but many told me that even then it
> helped to start with the software.
>
> > I have more than 20 different CONFIG.H files in the source code
> > directories here which hold them,

The implication here is that you have 20(+) client hams who operate with
20(+) configuration needs that are not satified with 10, or 5, or 2,
especially not 1 configuration.  You have hit on one of the purposes I
have in my wiki.  It is not so much for the 20 you already network with,
but for the 20(+) new and interested in exploring what jnos can do for
them in their world of ham radio.

>  and of those 25, whenever I have
> > to compile a new or changed program I run a batch procedure that
> > automatically compiles all of them.  Then I have to distribute
> > them after they are compiled which is the fun part...

May I add to your "fun"?

Would you be willing to create perhaps a table or some other human
readable description of the 20(+) environments that cause the owner to
choose a unique config.h for his installation?  This description really
needs to be a one-liner that captures the prime essence of the owners
desire.  It needs to capture the imagination of non-jnos users who are
willing to download the specific config.h and read the detail for
himself.  And yes, the 20 config.h files need to be attachments to the
page containing your table.

I see this as a one-time exercise - not a keep-up-to-date exercise.  In
my perspective as a newbie to jnos, what I am asking for is a key piece
in my exploration of jnos vs some other brand of software for my hobby.
It also becomes a starting point for the use of the compiler for
optimization purposes.  My opinion is that you two guys are discussing
the groundwork of this presentation, I would like to offer the platform
to do it on.

> That great but if you (or somebody close to you) is able to document the
> features and/or installation procedure of what you have in your
> repositories, that might help the others and save you some time of
> answering to reinventing-the-wheels-type of questions :-)

If you choose to go forward with this concept, please let me know how I
can help?  I'm legitimately not "close to you" but I am embarked on this
kind of quest.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k