[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Mar 29 10:50:46 EDT 2007

Very good points you bring up here Barry (and Miroslav) ...

> How would you propose that the code be programmed to know that a
> new "To: " field contains a userid that the sysop would want to
> qualify as being a new public area?  If I were running a NOS mailbox
> with public areas, there are nearly an infinite number of possible
> "To: " fields I can think of that I would NOT want to be added
> automatically to the 'areas' file if a bulletin happened to show
> up for them.

> And that says nothing of how you would program the 'rewrite' file
> to do the same thing as well.

I was just going to suggest that you *could* use the rewrite file
to divert New 'To: " fields to a PUBLIC version of a check area if
that makes any sense. Calling it 'incoming' if you want, put the
'incoming' area in the 'areas' file, kinda like anonymous FTP :-)

> It is clear from the original code that the programmer (presumably
> WG7J) was quite certain in his mind that the sysop must take the
> time to be responsible for defining what public areas he wants to
> have in his mailbox.

Perhaps some more flexibility needs to be added to this ?

Maiko