[nos-bbs] A question...

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Mar 23 15:00:54 EDT 2007

Jay, I think we disagree on a small detail?

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 14:23 -0500, Jay Nugent wrote:

> Greetings Skip,
>
> >>SNIP<< This is like
> comparing Apples and Oranges.

Nope - they are both requests to do the same thing "PLEASE CONNECT ME TO
ANOTHER HOST"
They both employ only AX.25 technology.
Without the "net" the user paws thru the JHEARD list and then provides
the details.
With the "net" the user paws thru the NODES table and then provides no
detail.
In both cases the result is the same with a new BBS (or "net" tool) at
the remote site.

It is my opinion (only opinion) that the BBS pair of commands is fully
consistent.

At worst the above is a "breed of apple" condition.
If you want an orange, compare "connect" with "telnet"?
With telnet you again get the same response as connect from the remote
host, but the protocol of getting there is different.

>>SNIP<<

>    The 'ax25 default' command is not available on my JNOS2.0a version.
> Perhaps there was a compile-time option I missed.  But a simple 'ax ?' at
> the jnos> prompt did not show this as an available command (on my system).

Yes - not here either.
However, if it were here the question remains the same.
I expect the logic in processing the "connect" command might be touchy
to resolve the ambiguity between multiple ports plus multiple
occurrences of the remote host ID.

>  >>SNIP<<

The answer is not here yet - one screen requires "connect host" the
other "netrom connect host" for identical conditions.
Is that apples and oranges?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k