[nos-bbs] Re: nos-bbs Digest, Vol 36, Issue 1

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 11 21:35:18 EDT 2007

Is this the dreaded xNOS-to-nonNOS link problem John?

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 14:21 -0300, JJ wrote:
> >>SNIP<< The problem is also apparent using vc on vhf...the first
> I-frame goes fine, then I
> see the dreaded "Remain" word in the header of the second packet, and
> the local node just silently
> drops it,
What software variety is "the local node", and is there any hope it will
soon support fragmentation?

As an aside - I have generously played with parms on my station plus my
two local JNOS neighbors by 2-meter radio & 1200B.  All three of us
support fragmentation and some thru-put gain is to be had by utilizing
fragmentation techniques over the small paclen size setting.  Our
experience is that timer settings got in the way of "joy"...  Again -
fragmented packets work fine here within the JNOS family / vc is no
issue.
>  and that's where it sits until it times out....(ax25)...the result
> seen by the end-user is that
> only one packet gets thru...then connection sits udle till
> timeout....anybody have any ideas about
> how to solve?(besides DE-taching netrom from HF port, hi)
I have had no reason to look, but there may be a switch to disable
fragmentation support so it is on a par with non-nos nodes.  Without
fragmenting, your only option is to shrink MTU, paclen, ..., to
compatible numbers with your neighbors.  (right?)  I don't believe
initial link negotiation can settle all variation...