[nos-bbs] Local Emergency communications but able to do e-mail if necessary

KV9U mrfarm at mwt.net
Fri Feb 23 15:25:50 EST 2007

Very much appreciate your comments, Maiko,

Having been one of the more active packet users (Sysop)  in the past, we
had a local MSYS BBS to handle H routing of messages for our area and
then major links to other areas with node stacks to move between 1200
and 9600 baud linking. But even when we had those systems, I don't think
we had any way of routing traffic to the internet mail system. All of it
was internal H routing. We could never get enough hams interested in
TCP/IP to move in that direction.

If we had packet TNCs now, we could digipeat through them and use them
as a sort of manual internal mesh network. And if they were supported by
Airmail 2000, you could use this product, or some of the alternative
products. I know that attached mail is a big issue with Winlink 2000
folks and they believe that you must have this capability to be really
useful. Our local EM Director does not have any interest in e-mail
capability at this point, but it would be nice to have it anyway if
there were some way to get paths into the internet that would be working
when the local wirelines fail again (even for short times of a few hours
to a day typically from cut fiber).

The philosophy of the packet networks was to use mostly RF but, as you
say,  tunnelling and alternative wireline if you had to, in order to
make it practical to use. In fact, there were those who were very
opposed to this because they felt that this would cause others to decide
not to make the effort to connect via RF paths. But realistically, they
had no choice but to take a pragmatic approach to routing some things
with wireline. Some hams really did not undertand this and actually
thought everything was being done by RF only paths. There was a
secretiveness by the Sysops to insure that even interested hams did not
know much about how the system worked. They even resented sharing node
stack frequencies. Winlink 2000 takes the philosophical position that
you should always use the internet unless you don't have the internet
and then you should use RF as the backup. Their view is that this is
standard emergency communication procedure.

And while one of the main reason to build RF-only paths is for emergency
communications, I never want to tell someone that I have an alternative
way of communicating if their wireline system goes down, unless it does
not use wireline. Unfortunately, the former ARRL President,  did just
this in the most public forum you could imagine, the U.S. Congress. I
was appalled and embarassed. If he had really spoken truthfully, he
would have said we use the same internet as the one that failed, but we
may be able to bridge the broken part. This has caused some hams to have
a distorted view of what is really being done based upon comments I have
received from people who have actually criticized me when I explained
how the system works.

The reason for such a focus on the SCS modem is due to the decision to
discontinue using  the Clover II and faster systems from HAL from the
Winlink 2000 system with no other options available. There are an
increasing number of HF PMBO's no longer allowing any more Pactor 1
connections. Only P2 and P3 have the high speeds that no other equipment
can duplicate at this time. Connect times are limited and I have heard
30 minutes per 24 hours is maximum. During emergencies, they will allow
appropriate stations to use Pactor 1 and have more time, but if you have
not been using this on a regular basis, it may not work when you need it.

I am one of those who strongly believes that you need to have a system
in place that not only is designed for emergency use, but also is used
frequently for other practical uses. I just don't see this happening on
VHF and higher frequencies due to the short distances on these bands.
Especially with portable equipment.

In terms of platforms, the Winlink developer has indicated that he does
not have that much expertise to be able to do cross platform work and is
not very impressed with Linux even though he has tried it. Because of
the secretive nature that they feel they require, they do not have open
programming efforts unless they have needed to borrow from open source
(such as RDFT). They released the beta of SCAMP two years ago, which
used the GPL'd modulation, but perhaps they are not required to share
the source code on a beta? Otherwise, the SCAMP source code would have
been made available with the two breakthrough features of busy channel
detection and pipelined ARQ. And for reasonably good signals this mode
is superb.

Because Winlink 2000 is not really a commercial product, there probably
would not be the normal market response. They do have other products
that are used in different areas, but I am not sure if there is much
money involved with Sail Mail and some other possible government use. Of
course I could be wrong.

Digital voice on HF is not a useful mode for weak signals or to correct
noisy conditions since it requires a fairly high S/N ratio to work
adequately without dropping out in the very narrow bandwidths we use on
HF.  Analog SSB is superior in most cases, and unless the laws of
physics changes, or we find some new breakthroughs in compression, it is
likely to remain so. The voice quality and signal strength of the free
WinDRM software program seems to be about as good as the AOR boxes, some
say it sometimes appears to be better than the AOR.

It is interesting that even though the internet replaced most of the
packet infrastructure, it is really the internet that allows us to have
some level of contact, albeit not the same as direct personal contact,
to further some of the goals of amateur radio and many other things of
interest. It would take many years to share this information through
periodicals and conferences. I am thankful for that.

Because of the distances often involved in networking, I  find HF to
have the most potential when things get the most difficult. My planning
concept is perhaps different than many others because I work from worst
case scenario rather than typical expected scenario that seems to be in
the limelight at the moment.

In closing, there are two items of HFdigital interest - the new ARRL
request for comments on an open HF Digital Protocol and the new ALE ARQ
mode installed in Multipsk.

73,

Rick, KV9U