[nos-bbs] Local Emergency communications but able to do e-mail if necessary

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:04:27 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, KV9U <mrfarm at mwt.net> wrote:
> Our ARES EC's husband (who plays a major role with providing statewide
> communications for our military and who does everything from portable
> satellite links, to expanded localized cell phone, to HF duplex via
> digital links, and much more), did a presentation on Winlink 2000 this
> past weekend. He has been explaining to our local club about digital
> operation in general and packet more specificially.
>
> He concurs with me that Winlink 2000 really doesn't do all that  we
> need. We need a system that is primarily locally connected between home
> stations, portable stations, mobile stations, for voice and then for
> digital modes that work well for messaging. It must be decentralized as
> possible to avoid single point failures and yet easy to set up and
> maintain. It must interface with internet e-mail so that non amateurs
> can communicate through this system when this is necessary. Ideally, it
> would also have the ability to reach out to more distant points via HF.
>
> Does anyone know if anyone is thinking about or perhaps even working on
> such a system? Or are our expectations for such a system just too
> unrealistic?

Airmail2000 does much of that already.

Take "easy" out of the requirements and *NOS does much of that already...

In many ways, Airmail can be thought of as a version of *NOS with a
Windows interface.  They share a great deal of the same functionality.

Completely remove "easy" from the picture and a Linux (or Windows) box
with SCS TNC could also do it using older messaging protocols.

It's all here - it just takes the time and organization to put it to work.

73
Bill - WA7NWP