[nos-bbs] Status of the JNOS 2 project ...

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Feb 2 10:50:53 EST 2007

Greetings all,

Time again to update people as to the happenings of the JNOS 2 project.

Many of you have probably noticed that I have not released alot of upgrades
lately, which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. The latest release is
still JNOS 2.0e. If you are trying to compile it on a newer linux version,
and running into errors (like _SP missing or similar), then you may have
to use the JNOS kernel patch on top of the 2.0e source before compiling.

Perhaps I have said this before, but I have been at a crossroad of sorts
lately - watching and waiting - to see where things are going to go. I mean
really, just look at the number of linux distros out there now. Windows is
going through changes once again. I find it difficult to decide how much
of my efforts should go where, and into what ...

For sure, I will not be pursuing CYGWIN and DGJPP. If others want to give
it a try, go for it, you know where the source is.

I really want to see a WIN32 version of JNOS 2 at some point in time. I have
been actively working on this for a few months when time permits. It is alot
of work, and some progress is being made. I'm trying to use the WINPCAP libs
to interface JNOS to the windows networking. It is possible to do.

Some people are still waiting for me to get some things done. For instance,
I need to get callsign insertion into the APRS digipeating for Janusz - I am
sorry it is taking so long to work on it. I have a KAM driver that I need to
finish (now that I have the KAM with pactor firmware on it). If there are
other items people have asked me for, and they REALLY want badly, and I
have not delivered, could you please be so kind as to remind me (on list
if you must). Very rarely do I purposely ignore people, I just sometimes
forget about things, and need to be reminded from time to time.

I have some other ideas I want to implement. A more centralized mail
system (similar in concept to Winlink) is one of the things I've been
thinking about. Participating JNOS systems would be *linked* to one or
more core servers, so that no matter what JNOS system a person connected
to, they would know there and then if and when they get mail. Forwarding
(in the traditional sense) would not have to be setup between individual
JNOS systems anymore if they were to use this new approach. Just an idea.

NOW, a question regarding what linux flavors JNOS is running on ...

Are there people on this list that can't get JNOS 2.0e to compile and link
on the LATEST linux distributions ? I want to get an idea of what distros
people are wanting to use, but can't, because they are not able to compile
or link it on the SAME BOX they want to run JNOS on.

Note : I'm NOT asking 'are there people who can't get JNOS 2.0e running'.

If you are one of those people, then perhaps we can make a deal. You can
provide me with a remote development environment to help me get the job
done. Let's be honest. I can not realistically have every single linux
distribution available to me here at my home or at my work place.

I've done this several times in the past, with excellent results.

That's all for now. Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

http://www.langelaar.net