[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 13:39:22 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 10:32 AM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> My little packet project continues.  JNOS is running.  I'm working
> through the configuration yet again to get JNOS talking to the local
> Linux host and through it to the net.  I'm also doing a little dance
> to figure out which of the multiple versions of JNOS source I have is
> the one currently used and add to it the AXIP modules.  Real RF is
> even part of the equation as there's one more TNC to get on line so I
> have a port besides APRS to work with.
>
> Once that's all under control I can start sending out some AXIP
> packets - both to a couple of my local systems and to some folks here
> on NOS-BBS that volunteered connections.

Progress continues.  The source code has been identified and rebuilt
with AXIP included.  That tricky proxy ARP has been added to the Linux
startup file so now my JNOS is "on the web" and I've started setting
up the AXIP connections.    The hot list for today is to get the
44.24.126/24 routed to the Linux/NOS system from the WRT54G and to get
that second TNC actually on the air.  I'll be paralleling this setup
with a neighbor's JNOS system (hi Kim) so that'll be the first attempt
to see if the AXIP packets start to show up.

A couple questions...

Does this AXIP magic pretty much depend on Netrom to be usable?  Do
folks hardcode BBS to BBS links without Network?

I've played with the Linux AXIP config more then JNOS.  It always
seemed that the Linux setup of tieing one destination callsign per
port to be limiting and that probably necessitated the use of Netrom.
 I think JNOS is a bit more flexible?   True?  Any profound
observations here on the merits or benefits of doing AXIP with Linux
vs JNOS?

Thanks again..
73
Bill - WA7NWP

PS.  Hey Skip - are you set up and ready to exchange some AXIP
packets?  I've got you in my list...  <wink>