[nos-bbs] Problem with NOSaprs EMAIL addressing

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Dec 13 16:24:48 EST 2007

Hi Janusz (and rest of group),

I copy this to NOSBBS list so everyone knows ...

The host 'poczta.onet.pl' is STRICT SMTP RFC-821 compliant, and
of course this is my mistake. Me bad. I did not properly format
the local part of the email address.

    APRSSRV(SQ1BHQ-1)@szczecin.ampr.org

is technically NOT valid. I should NEVER use the () characters in
the local part of the email address (unless there are double quote
characters encasing the entire local part). Below is better :

    "SQ1BHQ-1" <aprssrv at szczecin.ampr.org>

I will fix this in the next release for sure, but you can fix it
yourself if you want. See the source file, 'aprssrv.c', around line
number 732, you will see something like the following :

     sprintf (tmpfrom, "APRSSVR(%s)@%s", from, Hostname);

For now, change it so that it looks like this instead :

       sprintf (tmpfrom, "APRS-%s@%s", from, Hostname);

I'll give it a better look when I find time to properly fix it, as
I am not sure if the mail queue functions will properly put in <>
characters if I include double quotes in the tmpfrom field.

Sorry for the mistake. I should know better than that.

Regards,

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM