[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Sat Dec 8 18:02:28 EST 2007

["Bill Vodall WA7NWP" <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote]:

> will vodall.dynip.info work for a destination address?

It would be better to use a static IP address, because once the
AXIP tunnel is created you can't change the destination IP address
without detaching the interface and then attaching it again with
the new IP address.

> I know there are some issues with axip and routers.   If the
> unflashed WRT54G I'm using doesn't handle AXIP, then we go to
> AXUPD??

The WRT54G, with stock firmware or not, has no problem handling
AXIP (IP protocol 93) frames.

> Eventually it would be cool if we got to the point where an
> incoming AXUDP packet with the known IP address (even 44 net
> or others) would be enough to automatically set up a connection
> and get returned packets going..

That isn't going to happen without changing and adding code.
There is currently no provision in xNOS to setup AXIP/AXUDP
links "automatically".  In fact, care is taken in axip_input()
(AX25.C) *not* to accept frames from "unknown" IP addresses.
This was originally done deliberately so that only other
machines which are "pre-authorized" (in the form of deliberately
configured AXIP tunnels with known destinations) will be able
to get frames through the AX.25 protocol stack of *this* machine.

> But one step at a time.  First I need to get this working...

It's always best to take it one step at a time.  :)

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |