[nos-bbs] HTTP server restriction maybe

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Tue Apr 17 15:36:42 EDT 2007

[Jay Nugent <jjn at nuge.com> wrote]:

> Nada.  No way.  Uh uh. No sirie!  NAT, cough gag hurl!

Jay... you and I think incredibly alike and somewhat have the same
approach to this stuff.

Skip... listen to Jay.  Everything he says is true and makes perfect
sense.  I was going to do the "they're only just numbers" thing
with you two messages ago but elected to take a different approach.
I'm glad that Jay finally said it himself.  Perhaps then you will
realize that the "minutia" of IP addresses is just that...
minutia.  It's not the IP addresses that are important, but the
IP routing which serve them.  IP addresses without the proper
IP routing to go along with them are absolutely useless.

Jay, you flawlessly explained the IP routing in your last message,
however, the thing that you didn't address was Skip's need to have
the frames go out ASY radio devices.  *NO* internet.  But the good
news is that he *should* be able to take what you said, digest it
and then modify it based on what I said to get a good 44-net IP
route going via RF between his sites A and B.

While I don't necessarily think that NAT is "evil" (after all, how
can we possibly serve the dynamically IP-assigned lowest common
denominator of Windows user without NAT) or firewalls are "evil"
(yah, they have their place too in the great unwashed space known
as "the internet" but I don't like to use them myself either :)
it's true that they have no real place in amprnet IP routing.

Skip... use a 44-net IP address on your ASY radio interface and
add IP routing for it.  You'll be glad you did.  :)

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |