[nos-bbs] HTTP server restriction maybe

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 16 20:37:18 EDT 2007

OK Barry - I believe I better understand / here is a little
clarification for you...

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 09:15 -0500, Barry Siegfried wrote:

> ["(Skip) K8RRA" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:

> > It is exactly what happened on my site.
> >
> > The http query arrived on asy from the radio and the server response
> > departed tun on it's way into cyberspace.
>
> Why is that?  Why could not the return path from the web server to the
> browsing client be via the radio?

Routing...
The request came from 66... (not 44...)
The remote browser [and mine is similar] is serviced by the host stack
(66...), not the jnos stack (44...).
So the FROM IP is a 66... address.  My jnos can't legit route IP 66...
out the radio.  Actually - if I was willing to manually add his 66... IP
to the jnos route table to service his site uniquely it has proven to
work - but his IP is dynamic and the solution is too narrow.  His site
can not offer reciprocity - probably because my lan is the private class
C IP number...

Think of it this way:
The solution should support two independent class C networks existing
geographically remote to each other interconnected by a static 44
network of one to many hops.  The solution should also fit on top of any
encaps that exist to tunnel thru internet from site to site.
Seems to me other configurations might be simpler than that - so those
configurations simplify the above solution?

Our examples work OK where the LAN user (FROM IP unrestricted) obtains
service (telnet and http) from jnos node 44... site.
Our examples work OK where the jnos bbs user (FROM IP 44...) obtains
service (telnet & smtp) from remote network 44 sites.
Our examples fail where one user on the LAN uses 44... network to obtain
service (any) from a site remote to the site of entry into the 44...
network.

So far - no solution (yes Jay we will keep looking).

> > > Very low.
>
> If I even knew what an "opsys" was I might add.  :)

Oh my - "opsys" == Operating System / mine is Linux...

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k