[nos-bbs] Jnos 2.0e & Ubuntu version 6.06 Question

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Sep 17 14:47:44 EDT 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Larry Shields wrote:

>> SHOCK -- no development system or C compiler...
>> I was looking for eclipse with gcc or some alternative - nada.
>> Perhaps live DVD demos consider C too geeky / they did include
>> some hiigh level programming stuff.
>
> *I didn't even give it any thought, that Ubuntu did not have any
> compiling tools with this version hum, so now I am trying to
> install these tools from what I can find out which ones that I am
> in need of...*

Hi Larry and all,

I'm just lurking here (I haven't run JNOS for several years) but
Ubuntu, being a single-CD distribution, cannot fit all the tools into
the disk.  To get the basic stuff needed for compilation there is a
'build-essential' package which can be installed with apt-get or
synaptic.  It is a dummy package depending on gcc, make and a few
others.  JNOS may require additional tools and/or libraries, but that
will be a start.

73 - Bob, N7XY