[nos-bbs] Re: Tweaks to build simplifed setup JNOS

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Sep 14 12:30:17 EDT 2006

Bill wrote :

> I'm building an easy to install JNOS ...
> First step was to move all the config files into one place
> Comments in general on the move of files and renaming ?

I have no plans on doing so for the official version (not anytime soon).

To me, the issue is not so much directory and file structure.

Perhaps a more important issue from the WINDOWS point of view, is
that most users don't even know where configs are stored, transparent
to the general user, so does it really matter what the files are called,
or where they are stored ? That *is* the windows way, isn't it ?

An alternate method of simplifying JNOS setup is perhaps an installer
program (so that the user never needs to see the directory and file
structure). I made a prototype installer some time ago just to do that.
It OBVIOUSLY requires more work (understatement), but that was the
idea. To keep general users AWAY from the configuration files.

I mean, look at the darn REWRITE file. You don't know how badly I want
to *get rid* of it, in the sense that it would be nice if the USER never
had to deal with it. Heck, I have trouble with it. You need a PHD or
worse.

On another note, the people that are going to use your installs need
to know that the directory structure may not conform to the official
structure, so that if they search for help topics, they may get
frustrated.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM