[nos-bbs] Have you ever? POP3 multi-mailbox

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Oct 6 20:01:13 EDT 2006

I have to quit replying to my own posts... It's a sign of something...

Working here on a poor man's simple version of the redundant mailbox
delivery those "other guys" have.

Concept is, I believe, pretty simple.

A mail server (and a backup - of course) will have a mailbox per LAN and
multiple alises routing to that mailbox.  For example.  wa7nwp at ourlan and
n7yge at ourlan both are aliases to the Xourlan mailbox.

Next step (once I get it on the Internet.) Is for JNOS to POP3 and
download the files from the Xourlan mailbox.

Here's where I think their may be an issue.

The pop3 server appears to always put the fetched Email into one mailbox.

I need the incoming messages to run through the REWRITE rules.  That way
the messages for wa7nwp and n7yge will be in their own mailboxes for local
access or automatic forwarding.

The beauty of the redundency this system, if it'll work, is that I'll have
TWO JNOS systems on the same lan both downloading from the same Xourlan
mailbox and delivering to the remote PBBS or Airmail (or JNOS of course)
systems.

The POP system will be set to delete the messages off the main server
after X (14?) days to prevent too much of a backlog from building up.

The original aliases:  n7yge at ourlan - can even send the same message to
multiple mailboxes -- maybe for different Lans or Frequencies..  Xourlan
and Yourlan.   Better yet, a feature "those other guys" don't have is that
we can set this alias to deliver to non-packet addresses too.. Say
wa7nwp at yahoo and n7yge at hootmail - at the same time.  Packet or Internet -
the message gets though.

The duplicate message copies would either be refused by the mail programs
or deleted by the user.

So - is anybody doing anything like this?    Specifically using the POP3
mechanism to download messages for multiple users from a single mailbox.

Thanks!

73,
Bill - WA7NWP