[nos-bbs] An SMTP glitch

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun May 28 16:59:56 EDT 2006

Almost the solution Bob,

My trouble began in the "alias" file.  I had the line:
    k8rra    k8rra at k8rra.ampr.org"
to fill out my own address into a complete one - but SMTP won't deliver
mail into BBS "...spool/mail" directory containing @ clause even when
the clause points to the local node directory.
This seems to be an adequate statement of the problem.

Your solution strips the "@" clause and permits delivery - I only tested
my statement with the "rewrite" command / not test mail.
Yet "k8rra at arrl.net" is something I want to go to Internet destination
and the "*" would trap that mail, so I propose:
  *@k8rra.ampr.org    $1
is a all-user solution - again tested with the "rewrite" command / not
test mail.

The jnos documentation suggests "don't forward until you TOTALLY
understand rewrite and alias files".  Good thought - tough call.
Thanks for hand-holding on this one...

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 06:16 +0000, Bob Tenty wrote:

> Looks like a mail loop :=(
>
> Check your rewrite file
>
>  k8rra@*   k8rra
>
> rule missing somewhere at the beginning of that file?
>
> 73, Bob VE3TOK

de Skip k8rra k