[nos-bbs] Status of JNOS 2.0 development

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon May 8 15:25:55 EDT 2006

Greetings all,

Well, I'm happy with the stability of JNOS 2.0e in that my uptime
has so far exceed 26 days !!! That's actually quite amazing considering
that I've never seen my LINUX version go for that long. I think fixing
the NETROM stuff was a factor in that - then again, it might be luck !

There are still bugs here and there. There are some bugs in the NNTP
server code that I am aware of. If any of you are going crazy with the
NNTP crashes, then use GDB and help me fix and locate the problems.

I don't use the CONVERS stuff intensly, so it may be not as stable as
mine seems to be. My APRS server is working pretty good, I have it using
an old KPC communicator (oh my gosh, that's obsolete :-) in kiss mode,
monitoring HF APRS on 30 meters, and gating to APRS internet system.

I actually picked up a French APRS wx station a few days ago. Cool !

Anyways ...

It's now time to freeze the development and leave it at the latest
version 2.0e for a while. If anything is to be released it will be
small patches to correct any reported bugs (for which people simply
are not able to live with of course).

The only other thing I might do, is release another DOS version, to
simply accomodate a request made sometime ago, and long overdue - my
apologies to the person (NWDSK) for this. Also, I may put out another
release for OS X - just waiting on an update of development system.

I simply have too many things on my plate right now, the big one being
that I am far behind on renovations at home, and my wife is rightfully
getting cranky about it. Holidays and other commitments are also taking
up time (which is perfectly fine). Time to take a bit of a break ...

Sooo, please don't be surprised if your emails are not answered in a
timely fashion for the next few months. Hey, it's summer time anyways,
time to hit the beach, go camping, go biking with the kids, and all
that other stuff !

Thanks to everyone for your support and patience.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM