[nos-bbs] The ptcpro interface to jnos

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 1 12:06:14 EST 2006

I wonder - Is a ptcpro port available to BBS users for connect purposes?

As you might guess - I tried (on a dummy load).
My expectation at this point is that the process will yield simply
no-response.
Here is what I found:
The "c ptcpro k8xyz" command was accepted and responded "...trying..."
with the normal "+++CR" escape sequence for an SCS PTC Pro TNC.
The radio went into a 50-second broadcast of the pactor connect frame (I
presume - I did not read it).
The BBS session remained unchanged for 45 minutes.
After 45min, the BBS did not respond to "+++cr" or "ctl-t" or "ctl-c" or
"ctl-z" or a few more...  it was locked up.

Finally I escaped from telnet and forced a disconnect from the BBS.
After an hour (as I write this) the status display still shows k8rra
connected as BBS=1 client.
Thus I believe BBS has gone out to lunch...

The above suggests the ptcpro interface will not process ax.25 material
thus should be "banned" from "connect"?
The bothersome factor is that the ptcpro port shows up in "ports" and
"jh" and so forth demonstrating the existence of the port on the BBS and
(in my case) there are zero heard stations (zero is a correct number).
The implication of course is that the port should work for AX.25
traffic.

So - what is it?
Is my installation broken or wrong?
Is jnos willing to try something that will certainly not work?

The last question is will someone with propagation to west Michigan and
with an SCS tnc hook up with me for the purpose of completing the HF
testing phase for my installation?  Yes - I'm going to make this thing
work...

73
de Skip k8rra k