[nos-bbs] BBS Ddownload and Upload command bug

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Jun 25 18:34:34 EDT 2006

Greetings again,

I guess I'll go on record with the BBS "Download" and "Upload" command
failures as a bug too.
On my jnos2.0d the Download command lists the remote file on the
terminal, no file is created in the local jnos file directory.
On my jnos2.0d the Upload command expects the user to enter the file
content on the terminal, a file is created on the remote site.

Before this situation is repaired per the documentation, I'd like to
pose and alternative action.

Documentation now explains the file will be transferred between jnos
nodes, presumably created under the identical name as the source.
To modify the code to do exactly that could fix the problem.
But wait...

To modify the documentation to explain that the source or destination is
the terminal would also fix the problem.
I prefer this as step #1 and I will modify both doc and help as needed
if our community accepts this approach.
As step #2 I propose addition of "get" and "put" commands exactly as
applied in ftp, and again I will contribute the doc and help changes to
support this approach.
As step #3 other ftp commands might be implemented into the jnos BBS
command structure?

As a final thought, file transfer seems to this author to be a worthy
capability.
To implement file transfer under a TCP/IP connection outside the BBS
structure that excludes AX.25 file transfer seems flawed.
OK - that has not been proposed, but I'd like to quash the concept
before it surfaces...

73
de Skip k8rra k