[nos-bbs] A.X25 then, A.IP now ??? - thinking outloud (fwd)

Tim Gorman ab0wr at ab0wr.net
Fri Jun 23 13:36:01 EDT 2006

Been doing a bit of thinking on this.

AX.25 is a Layer1/Layer2 definition. It is based on the concept of links at
Layer2 between two endpoints (with two digipeaters also possible). It is this
concept that allows sharing of a packet channel by several conversations
through collision avoidance routines built into the link layer.

The move from X.25 to ip was facilitated in the wired network by other
developments - primarily the wide introduction of ethernet and token ring.
These provided the Layer2 data link functions for the Layer3 IP protocol to
use.

The corresponding concept in amateur radio was to carry the Layer3 IP over the
existing Layer2 AX.25 data link setup - i.c. IP encapsulation in AX.25
frames.

What you are proposing is getting rid of the AX.25 frame information as being
too much overhead. We need to define what this discardable overhead is.

An AX.25 frame consists off:
	Start Flag
	Address block (source, destination, 2 digipeaters)
	Control block (type of frame, sequence nbrs, etc)
	Protocol ID block (ax.25, tcp/ip, net/rom, flexnet, etc)
	Information block
	HDLC Frame Check block
	End Flag

You could certainly shorten the Address block since source and destination IP
addresses will exist in the IP frame. The Control block information is
needed, however, for controlling the ability to share the channel among
numerous users. Not so easy to discard parts of it. The Protocol ID block is
only a byte long if I remember right. Not much savings to be had there. The
information block won't change. If you have any added data outside the IP
frame, it will be hard to get rid of the Frame Check block without incurring
corrupted data frames.

It would seem that what you are proposing would be somewhat akin to a proposal
to get rid of the Ethernet Layer2 data on an ethernet connection and just
transmit the IP frames natively with only an originating MAC address
attached. It may work on an ethernet segment with a very limited number of
nodes but it isn't very scalable.

I don't want to be a wet blanket on your idea. Am I missing something?

tim ab0wr