[nos-bbs] A.X25 then, A.IP now ??? - thinking outloud (fwd)

dvalaris at gmail.com dvalaris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 14:14:40 EDT 2006

On 22 Jun 2006 at 11:40, maiko at pcs.mb.ca wrote:

> Many of the ATMs (ABMs) used the X25 protocol to communicate to the
> switch. The whole concept of X25 was really cool (still is) and I got
> to really liking it, becoming quite experienced in setting it up, and
> writing/porting comm drivers for a variety of different Unix flavors.

Hi Maiko,

Where I work we still use X25 and SDLC for our ATM machines. Not an
easily routable thing but nevertheless it works in ATMs that in remote
villages all over Greece (1400 of them).

> Here's the main point I want to bring up !
>
>  In the amateur radio field, A.X25 (packet radio) was created from
>  the X25 specification. I'm surprised that no one has come up with
>  an A.IP (ip over radio) spec to parallel the industry movement from
>  the X25 protocol to the IP protocol. Or has someone brought it up ?
>
> When things settle down, and winter starts, one of my projects is
> to perhaps implement an A.IP protocol (actually nothing more than
> raw IP with a SOURCE CALL and maybe ONE DIGI field). The nature of
> IP really only requires us to id ourselves I would think. That should
> make it legal, right ?
>
> Implementing it would be very easy. I should think we could continue
> to use EXISTING tncs, running either KISS or SMACK firmware, to make
> this work. KISS just delimits the data that the tnc is putting out or
> getting in, right ?
>
> Of course A.IP would have to be on a dedicated non A.X25 frequency,
> unless there was agreement between the A.X25 spec and A.IP to have
> some type of flag at the very first byte of data.
>
> Anyways, just some thoughts. It would be neat and alot more usefull
> with the modern days apps out there, to have literally raw IP going
> out and coming in a TNC. I think so anyways ...
>
> I'd like to have comments on this, what do you all think ?

Good points and ideas that hounded me and some other radio amateurs for
a long time but unfortunatelly there are not as many that use TCP/IP over
AX25 today in my country. Many still use AX25 but what you are suggesting
might boost radio ham's interest if implemented properly.

I am very interested in it for starters.

> Regards,
>
> Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

Keep up the good work and positive thoughts of yours.

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail	sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
	sv1uy at sz8l.gr