[nos-bbs] IP config for tun device

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Jul 27 09:49:24 EDT 2006

Hey Barry - sorry to have "sucked you into" my confusion...
While our "chat" has not answered my detail issue it HAS been
informative.

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 01:37 -0400, Barry Siegfried wrote:

> >SNIP<  I also have the "feeling" that you are possibly
> and needlessly complicating what really isn't quite that complicated.

Perhaps I'm pursuing "thorough" too deeply?  I hope you are correct...

> This notion of having "two telnet servers" to which you refer... do
> you mean opening two instances of the same server to two different
> users, or do you mean running listeners for the same service at two
> distinct transport service access points (i.e. ports)?  By "same
> service", I mean, the identical service in the *same* machine.  If
> you want to run these listeners for the same service in the same
> machine at two (or more) distinct ports, then simply start the server
> as many times as you need on as many ports as you want to use.

To bring closure to this question:
My Linux workstation platform offers "telnet" server services - If you
were so inclined you could "...$ telnet 67..." and log on my box.  That
opens the command line processor and you could then do stuff like "list
directory", "edit file", "print", and even "compile and execute".  Now
this scenario dates back to the 1960s when Bell Labs "invented" unix and
telnet has now fallen out of general use in favor of ssh like servers.
Likewise nos was invented on the telnet model to process the amateur BBS
vocabulary of commands.  Again if you were so inclined you could "...>
telnet k8rra..." to do jnos kinds of stuff.  I don't mean to insult your
knowledge of history Barry, but this is the basis for my "two telnet
servers" statement.   When combined with computer clusters, another
aspect to all of this is that this level of technology is available on
"dumb terminal" hardware that is "dirt cheap".  As is aptly discussed,
the path to k8rra.ampr.org has rules and limitation applied it in
keeping with ham radio - but once you get here my poor box needs to sort
out how to answer the incoming packet and send the response on it's way.
How I configure my workstation, what services I permit from Internet and
LAN sources, (and more) is the topic I'm pursuing here - and have made
significant  progress with in the past days.  [and] I have a library
copy of the Comer book on it's way...

> >SNIP<  And so, I've come full circle, and I doubt I
> answered anything about what you are really asking and really trying
> to determine.  For that I apologize, but I sense a confusion or mis-
> understanding of general principles in your thinking for which I am
> probably not qualified to help correct.  :(

Overly self-critical...

In the neighborhood later?  Stop by if you are inclined...

73
de Skip k8rra k