[nos-bbs] will mirroshades route to a FQDN?

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 25 17:46:40 EDT 2006

Hi guys... I'm sure my questions belie my limited understanding of
TCP/IP, but I have no shame:

Our internet gateway here in Vancouver is basically useless, as the
university has shut down all inbound 44 traffic (long time ago).
Outbound stuff still worked the last time I tried it). There was a time
many years ago (before paranoia) when everything worked very well.

We had a strong jnos community here at one time, but it has dropped to
almost zero because the gateway is gone.

My 44.135.160.40 address is routed to this crippled university gateway
(hamgate.comm.sfu.ca:142.58.173.14).

What I was thinking of was that if mirrorshades could could be made
route my 44 address to say va7vv.dnsalias.org which would resolve to my
current ip address, I could be my own gateway.

Questions:

1. I'm sure this won't work, but why not?

2. If one had a genuinely static ip address, would it work then?

3. If the answer to 2. is yes, then why couldn't mirrorshades be changed
to allow routing on the domain name rather than the static ip?

Thanks for any help...
jerome va7vv