[nos-bbs] JNOS2.0d - NET/ROM / strange behavior

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon Feb 27 13:12:17 EST 2006

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply Barry.

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 10:58 -0500, Barry Siegfried wrote:
>SNIP<

> > Oh well - I may not have any neighbors:-(
>
> You sort of need to know who your Net/Rom neighbors are ahead of
> time.

Well...  Per "Your Gateway to Packet Radio, by Stan WA1LOU 1989" pg
11-16 I was hopeful that manual discovery was not required.  I quote:
"...because each NET/ROM node automatically updates its node list
periodically, and whenever a new node comes on the air, the other
NET/ROM nodes become aware...".  I know about manual node entry, but is
this a lot more manual than advertised?  I know I'm surrounded with KA
NODES, but netrom???

> >SNIP<  If you don't have a user application then you
> have no need to compile in the Net/Rom level 4 (transport) support.

OK, I've got revision to my own documentation made...  THANKS!

>SNIP<

> Have you tried a power reset on the monitor?  Maybe it could be a
> monitor issue?

OK - This morning I went the one more step all the way to COLD...
NOPE - same result / the status screen on "F2" session is not healthy.
>SNIP<

> You mean, this only happens after you have attached Net/Rom?

YES INDEED - and because back-tracking does not produce the same result
I'm satisfied netrom has modified something really basic in the
interface to the status screen.  At this moment I can't say it is at the
Linux level since I have not found other software to be effected.  I
suspect (without proof) that jnos modified itself in some permanent way
that survives re-start.  Intentionally?  I don't know.

> > Nope - I have not found warning to avoid netrom as a feature...
> >
> > Can anyone make sense of this?
> > Time is not an issue - but I'd like my good jnos back...
>
> I don't blame you!
>
> 73, de Barry, K2MF >>

I can't tell you what is next at this moment - I pray rebuilding from
scratch is not on the list...

THANKS AGAIN

73
de Skip k8rra k