[nos-bbs] TCP Tunnel

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Aug 30 21:38:06 EDT 2006

Answering myself - that's usually a bad sign...

>From Maiko's autoexec.nos on the web:
----
# Now we setup a network connection between JNOS and Linux. This
# involves attaching the TUN interface, then configuring the JNOS
# side of it, waiting a couple of seconds, then finally configure
# the LINUX side of the TUN interface by shelling out from NOS.
#
attach tun tun0 1500 0
#
ifconfig tun0 ipaddress 192.168.1.131
ifconfig tun0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig tun0 mtu 1500
#
pause 2
#
shell ifconfig tun0 192.168.1.130 pointopoint 192.168.1.131 mtu 1500 up
----

The 'tun0' interface works by IP address.   So why couldn't it point at a
remote machine instead of the local machine?   The only challenges would
be figuring out some authentication and the remote ifconfig command...

Hmmmm...   This might work for some situations but it wouldn't be the
friendly setup based on a special login as setup in ftpusers.