[nos-bbs] JNOS2c5 crashes after about 5 or so received radio packets

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 15 11:45:46 EDT 2006

Mark, this may or may not help...
Depends on the traffic type & more.

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 11:15 -0400, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Name here is Mark.
>
> N2NOV and myself have been struggling to get some nodes together for an
> ARES type system here in NYC. After much trial and error we came across
> a compiled version of JNOS2c5. We have that working with the tun driver
> passing traffic etc.
>
> Problem is that the software crashes after it's received just a few
> packets from the TNC. If we turn off the TNC the thing is stable. Ideas?

In the 2.0c the APRS function does not like APRS packets when APRS is
not configured (my presumption).  It crashes jnos.
Try the following in autoexec.nos after configuring the ports:

# NOTE: two bug avoidance specials follow...
# Disable beacon on HF to avert bug known in 2005 / repaired per
jnos2.0e
ax25 bcport ptcpro off
mbox mport ptcpro off
# Set APRS - specify only one to avoid crash from bug repaied in
jnos2.0d#?
aprs logon call k8rra
#

> Setup is;
>
> Soekris NET4501 "embedded" 483DX 133MHz PC running from Compact Flash
> Voyage Linux OS (Voyage-Pebble Linux designed for above platform)
> JNOS2c5
> KPC3 TNC on ttyS0
>
> I have removed all OS references to the ttyS0 port. If you know this
> board you'll know that it's headless and so normally uses the port for a
> control terminal. The port is totally free from OS interference.
>
> We have given some vague thought to there being some sort of control
> character in the packet data that's kicking the software out. As we have
> no packet traffic to speak of anymore in NYC we are using the APRS
> channel to test.
>
> Thanks for your help folks.

73
de Skip k8rra k