[nos-bbs] Jnos & windows

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Sat Apr 29 06:19:07 EDT 2006

["Bob Tenty" <bobtenty at sympatico.ca> wrote]:

> I played around with the SwsvPkt driver but I get: No adapters found.
>
> I assume this virtual packet driver is scanning for ethernet cards but
> it doesn't find them.  Have 2 network cards in this machine.

That's a new one on me.  Admittedly, I have only used the driver in
machines which only have a single ethernet adapter so I don't know
how it would function under the circumstances you describe above.

> Is there no need to use the -i (HW IRQ) option?

I know that the SwsvPkt packet driver defaults to IRQ 7 for its own use.
Is it possible that IRQ 7 is already being used in the machine where you
are trying to use it?  If so, perhaps the -i option to redirect it to an
unclaimed IRQ might help.

But that notwithstanding, it never occurred to me what the packet driver
might do if it finds two different ethernet adapters which are "owned"
by Windows.  Which one does it choose?  What criteria does it use?  The
actual hardware appears to be immaterial since the packet driver appears
to be "virtual" and it somehow works *through* Windows.

Quite honestly, it's a bit of magic to me how this packet driver works
at all, since it must somehow tell its host O/S, "Please send me all
your traffic from this card and it's ok that I'm here listening to
everything that you're hearing".  That's essentially how it functions.
It hears *everything* that Windows hears which is why our NOS programs
need to be patched for them to play nice and not try to route packets
for Windows.

Oh yes, because of what I have described above there is one other caveat
which I forgot to mention.  After NOS is patched to play nice with
Windows, you cannot possibly have IP connectivity between SwsvPkt and
its host O/S.  They will NOT talk to each other.  But other than that,
it functions as a very nice additional "machine" on your LAN and will
talk everywhere else.  :)

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |