[nos-bbs] Jnos Plug n' Play

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Mon Jul 11 17:23:09 EDT 2005

Greetings Steve,

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Steven Stimpson wrote:

>  There was some conversation about making
> jnos more user-friendly to configure. Well, for
> end-users there is a solution. Back in the mid nineties
> IP over ax.25 was quite popular up here in the northeast,
> you could get an ip frame from mid-coast maine to central new york
> using complete radio paths. mark marston, ka1nnn, programmed
> a dos-based graphical front-end for jnos. it asks you for your
> call signs and qth and such, then when it is done it spits
> out some VERY well documented configs, like
> autoexec,ftpusers, bm.rc...everything.
>
>  I was able to locate the original distro, of all places on the baycom site.
> it installs a jnos 1.11X5 binary. ka1nnn also did some good mods to
> jnos itself, and i have the MODS source for 1.11X2. i don't believe he ever
> released the source for the front-end.
>
> if any would like the package, the source, or the sample autoexec
> it creates, just mail me at steven2 at gwi.net.

   Yes!  I would definitely be interested in the above code.  Here in the
ARRL Michigan Section I chair the "Digital Radio Group (a.k.a. DRG)"
[www.MI-DRG.org] and we have been rebuilding our Packet networks across
the state, in many places using JNOS2.0 (thank you Maiko!) configured to
operate as "HamGates" connected to the Internet.  This allows us to do
IPIP encapsulation across the Internet where terrestrial RF paths don't
yet exist.

   The learning curve for a newbie getting into JNOS has been steep, so I
have been producing a complete JNOS2.0 distribution on one 1.44 floppy,
and supplying that to those folks in our Section who want to try it.  The
floppy is bootable (minimal DOS6.22 system) and allows the user to run a
full-blown JNOS node strictly from the floppy (without touching their hard
drive) so that they can get a 'feel' for JNOS before they commit to
placing it on the hard drive.  We use a .BAT file to copy the file tree
onto their hard disk, but the next hurdle is getting the new user
comfortable with configuring his system.  Any easy to use tools, like the
one you mention, would greatly help the new user in becoming comfortable
with JNOS.

   Please forward along any tools, scripts, etc that you think would be
usefull.

   Thanks!
   --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
       Chair, ARRL Michigan Section, Digital Radio Group [www.MI-DRG.org]

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |