[nos-bbs] Cross posting: [Fwd: [wl2kemcomm] Heads up...]

Demetre Valaris sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Tue Jul 5 15:58:00 EDT 2005

Hi Maiko,

Neither has anyone here I believe. It is the attitude of some of the
developers
that bother me. First of all they think they know it all and second they
want
to impose their ideas only. For a start they started banning PACTOR I
from
PMBOs and they tend towards using PACTOR III only in some. This is not
very good thinking. Also they try to promote the one and only client
"Airmail",
they do not allow anyone using the keyboard to send e-mail on HF and
they
do not like anyone using the keyboard to send e-mail via a TELPAC node
either.
They say that "keyboarding" is bad and it is only accepted for test
purposes
on the TELPAC and it is not allowed on HF.

> I want very much to target the windows environment as well,
> but the nature of the applications will be like that of the
> KLMproxy project, allowing windows applications to use a
> packet radio connection as a tunnel to other services (via a
> NOS server).

We all use Windows and we do not have any problems with windows. I
personally have problems when there is no otjher way to do something and

I am tied to a Windows only system, that is why I like JNOS, because
you are not tied to one and only system.

> If people want to use NOS, they need to have a love for
> Linux, or the DOS platform (which is still supported in a
> limited way). Apparently the DOS userbase is higher than I
> thought too, but I have no numbers :-(
>
> IF people want to set up the equivalent of a 'Telpac' type of
> node using JNOS, then they will have to do it on a linux or
> DOS machine, the latter requiring a network card packet
> driver (TSR). I ran a system like that for years, ending
> 2000. Don't laugh ! It worked very well, with uptimes well
> over a month most of the time.

Well I have done the same exactly Maiko and had one DOS computer
running JNOS as a router and the other running JNOS as an SMTP/POP/
FTP etc SERVER. No problems with this setup. I still use JNOS in
my HP200LX palmtop (it can work 20 hours in 2 X AA Alkiline cells not
just 2 hours like most LAPTOPS).

> If people do not want to use linux or dos, and windows is
> what they feel most comfortable with, then so be it. They can
> use the WinLink Telpac node software as an introduction to the hobby.

Finally about TELPAC. It can run in JNOS by just altering the
AUTOECE.NOS
and setting up an alias with the following commands:

mbox alias TELPAC "t PMBOIpAddress 12001"
mbox showalias on

Each time a user connects to JNOS he can type TELPAC, hit ENTER and he
is connected to a Winlink PMBO. We can have many aliases or someone can
think of a way to try many PMBOs in a rotational basis should the first
one in the
list fail to reply.

Another way is the use DL5DI's TELPAC node in LINUX if you are using
AX25 in the
LINUX kernel. It is dead easy to install but it does nothing else. It
just connects you to
a WINLINK 2000 PMBO.

> Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM

===