[nos-bbs] Remote AX25 Attach with JNOS

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Wed Apr 6 15:02:11 EDT 2005

Bill Vodall WA7NWP schreef:

>>>Is there a way to "remotely" attach a data feed with JNOS?
>>>

>>I think axip or axudp will do the trick
>>

>I think you're right and it's probably time to finally learn
>the magic...
>
>Now, I've followed that there's been somewhat of a push to
>get AXUDP working over AXIP.   I believe that's because it
>works over more routers since many don't understand the AXIP
>protcols.  Is that true?
>
>Given AXUDP and AXIP, which would be preferred?   Is there any list
>of pros/cons for each?
>
>Thanks,
>Bill

first the pros and cons as far as I know them
the ax25ipd program from the linux ax25 apps normaly is a bit limited in
setting up routing.
it can only do a default route on axip if you want more then on route
that spits out all trafic then you need to hack out the filtering,
luckely that is not to hard.
axip has the advantage that it has all the tcpip transport functions so
you can be sure that everything that is send will get there in the end
where axudp has no garantees
axudp is easier to route over firewalls and routers.
so if you can get it to work axip is better
axudp work fine but on longer paths you have to keep in mind that some
frames can get lost.
setting up axip and axudp routes are not harder then setting up a slip
line, you just have to keep in mind what the used ports and ip numbers
are especialy in axudp.

73 de Andre PE1RDW