[nos-bbs] Important note : The TUN driver and kernel version ! (fwd)

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Nov 30 23:18:32 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I guess I should have mentioned this. Only use the TUN driver
if you are running a 2.4 (or later) kernel.

The prototype TUN driver for JNOS 2 was done on a 2.4 kernel,
and uses a single '/dev/net/tun' device. I guess I should check
if this has changed for the 2.6 kernels, but I don't think so.

It was NOT designed for the 2.2. kernel, which uses multiple
devices that have a different syntax, ie: '/dev/tunX'.

If anyone is desperate to have it for a 2.2 kernel, let me
know and I'll try and get it coded for the next release, but
you're on your own to test it - since I don't have a 2.2 system
around here any longer, all of my systems are at 2.4 now.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM