[hfsig] Good Marsh Ground but is also low

Bob Nielsen n7xy at n7xy.net
Fri Apr 13 01:33:06 EDT 2018

Empirically I  agree with that statement, having lived for 17 years
until recently in a location about 200 ft from salt water and about 50
ft above (+/- tides).  It was on an inlet from Puget Sound, not a
marsh.  The trees in between were mostly evergreens, not deciduous.  HF
propagation with a multiband vertical was much better than I expected
and I didn't really try to explain it but I was able to increase my DXCC
totals from 260 to 309 while living there and typically did not run more
than 100 watts (I also achieved QRP DXCC from that location during
better solar conditions than currently exist).

It's been several years since I have seen relevant data but I recall
that the effect of trees isn't very great at HF compared to UHF and
microwave frequencies and the radiated signal can go through the trees
rather than up and over.

73, Bob N7XY