[hfsig] WsprryPi sends tone only for a few seconds

Simon Quellen Field sfield at scitoys.com
Thu Apr 12 18:59:56 EDT 2018

Some more information.

I built the PiCW program, and ran it.
It sent the first few characters of the message, and then the output
stopped, even as the program kept slowly printing out the rest of the
message.
I ran the test many times.
Sometimes there was no output at all.
Other times it would get as far as 10 or 12 characters before going silent.

To remove the antenna and ground from consideration, I replaced them with a
50 ohm dummy load between the antenna and ground connectors on the board.
I could hear the characters using a nearby receiver, but they still went
silent, usually after single digit numbers of characters had been sent.

The two programs (WsprryPi and PiCW) share many components, both in
software, and (of course) in hardware.
There could be a problem with the board.
There could be a change in the operating system that makes the programs no
longer work properly.

I have tried the board on several different Pi boards, both 3B and 3B+,
with the same results.
I have tried the programs with a network connection and without.
I made sure the computer was not trying to make sounds (the sound software
uses the same hardware as the WSPR board does).

I am beginning to think there is a problem with the WSPR board.
Before I buy another one to test that theory, I'd like to hear suggestions
from this SIG.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"