[hfsig] command line -- running wsprryPi with the ha7dcd board

Zoltan Doczi zoltan.doczi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 08:14:19 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 3:17 AM, Orrin Winton <orrin.winton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Zoltan and friends, well i got my QRPi board from TAPR, and today i got
> the extender to raise it above my heatsink.
>
> Looking at your guide, Zoltan, and comparing it to the README file by J.
> Peroulas, here are my questions Zoltan:
>
> 1) is the board solely for 20 meters? I imagine it is, but i see in your
> "example command to start TX" that you end the line with '10m'.

Good catch! :) Sorry, looks like I left the wrong command there, as I have
a 10m preliminary design too, now corrected.

The board you have is made for 20m band.

> 2) should the gridsquare be six characters? Or just the first 4?

On page 7 you find a more detailed answer, but in the RPi program you can
use booth 6 and 4 digit long grid addresses (I'm using 6 char long)
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR_2.0_User.pdf

Not sure how the WsprryPi code works for the grid coding on RPi, maybe it's
simply truncating.
However at the database I see my 6 char long grid (it can also happen that
the WSPR database itself "upgrades" that, as the last 2 char is lower
case...)
http://wsprnet.org/olddb?mode=html&band=20&limit=500&findcall=ha7dcd&findreporter=&sort=date

> 3) okay the '20' you have there means 20dBm? Can you estimate how many
> milliwatts that is? I am a bit new to 'dBm' usage. (I use it on DMR
> repeaters but don't know how it applies here.)

Yes, 20 is the TX power from this command line structure:
"wspr [options] callsign locator tx_pwr_dBm f1 <f2> <f3> ..."

dBm is a logarithmic unit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm>, has "mW" as
reference level:
  0dBm 1mW
10dBm 10mW
20dBm 100mW
http://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/dbm-to-watts

> 4) If i am going to operate it on 20 meters, do i just put '20m' at the
> end, or do i put '14095600'? (That is the freq given on the wsprnet.org
> tracking page.)

The easiest is to use the short format: "sudo ./wspr -r -o -s XX0XXX YY00YY
20 20m"

WsprryPi can handle booth argument types:
"Frequencies can be specified either as an absolute TX carrier frequency, or
  using one of the following strings. If a string is used, the transmission
  will happen in the middle of the WSPR region of the selected band.
    LF LF-15 MF MF-15 160m 160m-15 80m 60m 40m 30m 20m 17m 15m 12m 10m 6m
4m 2m
  <B>-15 indicates the WSPR-15 region of band <B>."

> 5) Will the program take care of shifting the transmit freq (to dodge QRM)?

Good question, I always used the short format (like "20m") From their
description above I suppose the exact frequency has to be put there:
"Frequencies can be specified either as an absolute TX carrier frequency"

So you have to offset it with the receiver BFO value (if using the numeric
format instead the short form)

So i have a command line of (please correct me):

> sudo. /wspr -r -o -s WN1Z CN90PJ 20 14095600

I would use this range instead, so the TX freq not the Dial freq:
14.097000 - 14.097200
http://wsprnet.org/drupal/node/218

> (I know the dot is attached to the / but my android keeps moving it, sorry)
>
> Beginner's questions, thanks for comments es 73 de wn1z

No problem Orrin, I was struggling with the frequency setup too a few years
ago. I agree it's not trivial to kickstart an ultra narrow band system like
this! :)

73,
HA7DCD
Zoltan