[hfsig] So you think you can't loose the Internet...

Jack Taylor jack at n7oo.com
Fri Sep 2 13:21:24 EDT 2005

Walt, you've provided an interesting URL.  Also on this page is a link as to
what DoD and
the CG are doing to restore communications:

http://www.fcw.com/article90535-08-31-05-Web

As an Army MARS member, the 1st problem I see in having civilians handle
military
traffic is that most of us don't have any sort of security clearance.  As
you know, the trend
these days is that all military commo be encrypted.  2nd, there's a need to
identify what
kind of equipment is needed (and the associated costs and training) for
handling high speed
data traffic.  Suspect until an inexpensive plug and play HF data system is
available, it will
be awhile before the average ham will be able to participate.

In the case of the Katrina disaster, we see that when electric power is out,
commo is adversely
affected, regardless of what assets are on hand.

73 de Jack