[hfsig] RE: Bytes/Minute (Correction)

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA Walt.DuBose at RANDOLPH.AF.MIL
Wed May 18 10:48:29 EDT 2005

I'll get my math right yet...

Throughput at -5 dB SNR on a poor or average CCIR channel.  Pactor I/II/III
has been measured/graphed at -5 dB on an average CCIR channel.  MT63 has
been measured at -5 dB SNR on a poor CCIR channel.

So Net bytes per minute is the number of USER bytes per minute vs RAW bytes
per minute or time period.

Looking at Pactor III and MT63...

Throughput at -5 dB SNR on a poor or average CCIR channel.  Pactor I/II/III
has been measured/graphed (by KN6KB) at -5 dB on an average CCIR channel.
MT63 has been measured (by KC7WW) at -5 dB SNR on a poor CCIR channel.

So, MT63 has 200 WPM in ASCII so a word is 5 characters plus a space or 6
characters per word.  Thus 200 WPM times 6 characters is 1200 characters per
minute or 20 characters per second.

Pactor III is 500 net bytes/minute at is 500 characters/minute or 8.33
characters/second using 6 characters per word.

Walt/K5YFW