[hfsig] The final nail in the coffin of Morse ?

W6AFK w6afk at amsat.org
Wed Jul 27 21:36:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:39:09 +0100 (BST), Trevor AKA wrote:

The key thing is that the Amateurs in each country seek to get the most
flexible terms possible from their local regulator.

The UK is fortunate in having no bandwidth restrictions on HF, we could in
theory run 100 kHz B/W if we wanted to.... (snipped)

[W6AFK] IMHO, our FCC (or Canada's IC) should limit themselves to set some
basic guidelines then let the ham bands be an area for experimentation.

There should be no FCC sanctioned bandwidth or (published) mode
limitations. However, we as hams should set our own practical limits for
this shared resource.

I have been a ham since 1970 and it is really frustrating to always hear
the moaning and groaning of "time-frozen hams" who blast any new mode and
throw out the "not on my turf" battle cry. As far as I  recall,
"Experimentation" is still an important part of ham radio's existence and
the FCC should not inhibit this by imposing artificial limits just because
one lobbyist is stronger than the other.

Just one opinion amongst many others ;-)

Bruno, W6AFK/VE2EQ
Oceanside California
Grid: DM13ie