[hfsig] What can you do with an OFDM signal in a 3.5 KHz band pass?

Trevor AKA m5aka at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 07:41:31 EDT 2005

Raw data rates of up to 12800 kbps have available commercially for a number of
years now using standard HF SSB rigs. There are several products available
using MIL-STD-188-110B waveforms an example is http://www.rapidm.com/rm6.shtml
Sure they drop down to lower speed if the path isn't great, but on many paths
the higher rates are viable.

However, I am not aware of any Amateur implementation of these waveforms, has
anybody tried ? For some of our HF bands I believe there are valid arguments
for resticting b/w to 1.8 kHz or less but for 28 MHz there is no reason why 3.5
kHz or 7.5 kHz shouldn't be used.

73 Trevor M5AKA
----------------
Daily Amateur Radio RSS News Service: http://www.southgatearc.org/
Add News Service to your Website: http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/index.htm
Add News Service to your PC: http://www.southgatearc.org/rss/newsreader.htm
Upload Your News Items: http://www.southgatearc.org/news/your_news.htm
----------------

--- tattje <tattje at planet.nl> wrote:

> RE: [hfsig] What can you do with an OFDM signal in a 3.5 KHz bandpass?The
> POTS will give you 56 kbit/sec in the same bandwidth.
> Using OFDM some channels will not be available, fec is not enough, so one
> has to spread the info over all the channels.
> Reread the fs-1052, why do you think are so many different throughput speeds
> defined?
> 10 kbits in 3 kHz? Forget it, may be sometimes, but not always.
> HF is a naughty channel,
> Regards
> Henk

------------- Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society -------------
Support Essex Air Ambulance - Apply for the Chelmsford Award
         See CARS website http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/