[hfsig] Morse in Canada

W6AFK w6afk at amsat.org
Tue Aug 2 01:55:50 EDT 2005

I have no problems with IC's new rules. Morse code is just one "mode" we
have at our disposal.

IMHO, one of the main reasons some hams offer for keeping the morse code
requirement is not that the new ham will be inclined to use that mode, but
the ill-conceived notion that morse code will keep out the undesirables. It
never was an effective filter... just listen to the ham bands.

Memory lane --> I remember passing my ham radio tests in Canada back in
1970 when you had to provide full answers (no multiple choice stuff) and
pass a verbal test with a DOC official (i.e. government). I had to draw
simplified schematics and bloc diagrams then answer the examinator's
questions on them. I also agree that this theory portion was scary... but
fun ;-)  Hey, back then we were actually building our equipment. I sure
remember all of my home built transmitters, antennas, receivers and
amplifiers... blown capacitors, HV arcs, (learned the "smoke way" that you
do not use paper capacitors in the output tank section). Ah... them were
the days ;-)

The morse code portion for the Advanced license was at 15 wpm TX and RX.
Back then, you had Basic and Advanced classes. Basic required 10 wpm while
advanced required 15 wpm.

Enough... we are in 2005 and the world of communications has changed (I
design state-of-the-art HF system solutions). Ham radio needs to adapt to
these new times, hence why I would like to see less government limitations
and more experimentation. But I am only one voice.

Bruno, W6AFK/VE2EQ
Oceanside California
Grid: DM13ie