[aprssig] APRS Foundation and Privacy Concerns

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Sep 20 13:46:31 EDT 2024

Eric Lorenz K9LGE <k9lge at emlorenz.com> writes:

> So I am going to play devils advocate here-
>
> My first reaction when I read your email was to the other end- why such an
> overboard reaction on this??? Maybe a couple changes, like...
> - an explainitory tag, "so we can wish you a happy birthday!"
> - make it month/ day *only*
> - make it optional- and add "(optional)" to the field tag.
>
> That way, people who don't want to don't have to but those who do want to..
> can.

It's not overboard at all.

In today's world, data, once collected is subject to
  - data breaches
  - misuse by a successor entity with lower ethical standards
  - errors in judgement by succeeding people in the same entity (you'd
    be surprised how many people think it's ok to load resources from
    google)

All of this is risk, and thus data is a toxic asset, to be collected and
retained only really necessary.   It's exactly the right call to decline
to collect anything more than is needed.

73 de n1dam