[aprssig] More APRS-over-VARA Testing on Cross-Country Road Trip Next Week

Stephen H Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 11:55:25 EDT 2024

On Sunday 16 June 2024, I will be departing from entral Michigan on a
cross-country road trip to Los Angeles.  I will have "Studio B" (my mobile
hamshack and radio operations trailer) in tow.

Once again, I will be doing side-by-side comparisons of classic HF AX.25 packet
APRS and APRS-over-VARA-HF.  I will alternate beacons on AX.25 and VARA, each
mode on a 10-minute cycle while enroute.  Both modes are originated from the
same computer, interface, radio (Yaesu FT-891) and antennas (Quicksilver Radio
ham sticks for 60 and 30m) in the car.
     Note that because this is being run as a full laptop-based APRS setup (not
a dumb transmit-only tracker), I should be able to receive/send APRS messages
on any of the three modes (VHF, HF packet, HF VARA).
     Three instances of UIview will be running side-by-side from separate
folders to generate the three modes.

For the first day out (Sunday 0-500 miles / 800 km), I will be operating on 60
meters "Channel 5" (5.403.5 USB).  Plans are for the first overnight in Des
Moines IA.  For the rest of the trip (too far away from my home igate/webserver
for 60M), I will be on the  usual 30 meters APRS frequency -- 10.147.600 USB
with standard 1600/1800 Hz "KAM" tones on 300-baud AX.25 and standard VARA-HF
tones.

I will be using WA8LMF (no SSID) for 2M and direct-to-Internet beaconing via
cellular,   WA8LMF-2 for the HF AX.25 mode,   and WA8LMF-3 for the HF VARA
beacons.  Thus you can distinguish the posits from the three modes on sites
like findu.FI or my own personal APRS webservers at

<http://WA8LMF.net/map>

I also have a dedicated Road Trip Tracker up at my web site:

<http://WA8LMF.net/RoadTrip>

This tracker plots all three modes with their three different SSIDs. It plots
only what is heard  off-the-air on HF RF, as heard from my home QTH  (no
Internet).near East Lansing MI.  (The two-meter WA8LMF [no SSID] is plotted
from both off-the-air and the APRS-IS Internet feed.)    The road trip tracker
plots posits on 3D-looking relief maps, so once I get to Denver and the
beginning of the "real west" (the Rocky Mountains), the map display should be
quite interesting.

The outbound trip will be on I-80 across Iowa and Nebraska, I-70 across
Colorado and Utah, and I-15 Utah to L.A.   The return trip about a week later
will be along the lay of the old Route 66 (I-40 Barstow, CA - Arizona - New
Mexico onward to the eastern US.

As an added "side-show" to this trip, I will be running my "Mobile SSTV
LiveCAM" from a second  HF rig in the car on 15 or 10 meters if the higher HF
bands are open.  I have a web cam pointed out the front window that
automatically grabs and beacons a live SSTV image every ten minutes. This gets
especially interesting when I get west of Denver into the Colorado Rockies and
the Utah red rocks desert.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

APRS-over-VARA igates now operating on 30 & 60 meters
<http://WA8LMF.net/map>

"Studio B" Ham Shack on Wheels
<http://WA8LMF.net/Aliner>

-- APRS over VARA  --