[aprssig] aprs.fi

Jess Haas km6gvw at jesshaas.com
Fri Jan 13 06:40:38 EST 2023

Have you by any chance had a chat with the people over at Caltopo? They
stopped commercialy licensing their tile sets a while back but said
"CalTopo has always had a generous free use policy, and we intend to
continue allowing free noncommercial use of our tilesets going forward" (
https://blog.caltopo.com/2020/09/02/ending-layer-licensing/)

They may even be interested in some sort of mutually beneficial APRS
integration. One of their biggest focuses is supporting Search And Rescue
and they even already have rudementary APRS tracking support. They even
point people to aprs.fi in their support files.
https://training.caltopo.com/all_users/share/live-tracking#aprs

Might not work out but they already run tile servers so seems like a
possibility.

-Jess
K5LLI